Women with disability – who account for 20% of the Australian female population – are affected by domestic abuse and violence at a rate higher than other women. Women with disability also suffer from domestic violence for longer, waiting on average 3.3 years before reaching out for help, compared to an average of 2.3 […]
Author Archive for: Sandra
About Sandra Wiens
This author has yet to write their bio.Meanwhile lets just say that we are proud Sandra Wiens contributed a whooping 8 entries.
Entries by Sandra Wiens
On 6 June the ACT Government released a response to the Domestic Violence Prevention Council report from the Extraordinary Meeting in 2018 about children and young people.
The report recommended action in five priority areas to further the ACT Governments capacity to understand and respond effectively to the needs of children and young people […]
It can be used by people affected by domestic and family violence, educators and frontline workers.
Family Violence Law Help has free, easy to understand information about:
The findings from the 2017 National Community Attitudes towards Violence against Women Survey (NCAS) have been released on 30 November. Overall, the survey found that Australians are less likely to hold attitudes that are supportive of violence against women now than in 2013 and 2009 and are more likely to support gender equality.
Fewer people […]
The ACT Government’s Safer Families Grants are a critical component of the government’s Safer Families package announced in 2016. These grants are available to assist people who have experienced, or are experiencing, domestic and family violence to rebuild their lives, with a total of $409,000 in funding committed over four years in the 2018-19 budget. […]
A Canberra Times article, “We need to ‘see’ kids impacted by domestic violence“.
Minister for Justice, Shane Rattenbury announced that victims of family violence and sexual offences will now have access to the restorative justice process, following the commencement of phase three of the voluntary Restorative Justice Scheme. This will allow both victims and those responsible for offending the option to participate in a facilitated and supported conferencing […]
The ACT Justice and Community Safety Directorate (JACS) is calling for expressions of interest for appointment to two positions on the Domestic Violence Prevention Council.
The Council, which is established under the Domestic Violence Agencies Act 1986, has a number of functions including reducing the incidence of domestic violence offences in the ACT, improving […]
Domestic violence in the Media
- Changes to the Safer Families Grants Program allow easier access to grants of up to $2,000 for people who have experienced domestic and family violence.November 20, 2018 - 2:00 pm
- We need to ‘see’ kids impacted by domestic violenceNovember 6, 2018 - 2:04 pm
- Access to restorative justice expanded to victims of family violence and sexual offencesNovember 5, 2018 - 10:42 am
- ACT’s unique approach to Family Violence OrdersMarch 2, 2018 - 2:13 pm
- ACT Violence Prevention Awards 2017November 28, 2017 - 11:24 am
- ACT 2nd implementation plan for domestic and family violenceAugust 27, 2015 - 4:33 pm
- ACT government responds to new Canberra domestic violence report with a call for increased awarenessAugust 13, 2015 - 2:50 pm
- ACT domestic violence workers trained to better respond to technological abuseAugust 13, 2015 - 2:48 pm
- Domestic Violence Orders on their own can make violence worseApril 7, 2015 - 1:40 pm
- Mother of three calls for stronger measures to protect victims of domestic violenceApril 7, 2015 - 1:40 pm
DVPC reports and submissions
This section contains Submissions, research reports, and other papers prepared by the Domestic Violence Prevention Council relating to domestic violence.
- DVPC Extraordinary Meeting Report 2018October 12, 2018 - 9:35 am
- Final DVPC Submission to the Standing Committee on Justice and Community Safety Inquiry into Domestic and Family ViolenceNovember 20, 2017 - 12:03 pm
- ACT Domestic and Family Violence Data Collection Project ReportSeptember 12, 2017 - 11:03 am
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Forum: Domestic and Family Violence forumJune 19, 2017 - 1:11 pm
- Review of Domestic and Family Violence Deaths in the ACTJune 19, 2017 - 1:02 pm
Events and Consultations
The Domestic Violence Prevention Council works to raise public awareness of the issues involved with domestic violence. Following are the details of upcoming events and details about past activities.
- Addressing the needs of children and young people impacted by family violenceMarch 7, 2018 - 2:39 pm
- 16 Days of Activism EventNovember 28, 2017 - 11:21 am
- Seminar – Working with Perpetrators of Domestic ViolenceNovember 23, 2014 - 8:23 am
- Latest DVPC ConsultationsNovember 22, 2014 - 10:09 pm
- Seminar – The financial impacts and costs on women living with and leaving domestic violenceOctober 29, 2014 - 10:06 am
Follow the links to find out more about the ACT and National Plans, and to relevant websites, research and publications.
- New AIHW Report on family, domestic and sexual violenceMarch 2, 2018 - 2:08 pm
- National Domestic Violence Order SchemeNovember 28, 2017 - 11:25 am
- Second Action Plan of the National Plan to Reduce Violence against Women and their Children 2010-2022November 6, 2014 - 10:13 am
- ACT Prevention of Violence Against Women and Children Strategy 2011-2017October 29, 2014 - 10:18 am
- The National Plan to Reduce violence Against Women and their ChildrenOctober 29, 2014 - 10:15 am