On Friday 9 August 2019, the Council of Australian Governments endorsed the Fourth Action Plan of the National Plan to Reduce Violence against Women and their Children 2010-2022, agreeing on five national priorities to reduce family, domestic and sexual violence.
Canberra MLA, Bec Cody reveals her story about being a domestic violence survivor in this ABC news article.
Report on the Inquiry into Domestic and Family Violence
The Standing Committee on Justice and Community Safety tabled it’s Report on the Inquiry into Domestic and Family Violence—Policy Approaches and Responses on 22 August 2019. A copy of the report can be found here.
Women with disability – who account for 20% of the Australian female population – are affected by domestic abuse and violence at a rate higher than other women. Women with disability also suffer from domestic violence for longer, waiting on average 3.3 years before reaching out for help, compared to an average of 2.3 years for other women.
This new campaign aims to increase awareness for women with disability. It clarifies what violence is, and the situations or circumstances where it can arise and have developed posters to assist with the messaging.
People impacted by sexual assault, family and domestic violence can access support from 1800RESPECT, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
That is Violence Campaign is launched by 1800RESPECT.
Domestic violence in the Media
- Canberra MLA, Bec Cody reveals her story about being a DV survivorAugust 23, 2019 - 1:20 pm
- Changes to the Safer Families Grants Program allow easier access to grants of up to $2,000 for people who have experienced domestic and family violence.November 20, 2018 - 2:00 pm
- We need to ‘see’ kids impacted by domestic violenceNovember 6, 2018 - 2:04 pm
- Access to restorative justice expanded to victims of family violence and sexual offencesNovember 5, 2018 - 10:42 am
- ACT’s unique approach to Family Violence OrdersMarch 2, 2018 - 2:13 pm
- ACT Violence Prevention Awards 2017November 28, 2017 - 11:24 am
- ACT 2nd implementation plan for domestic and family violenceAugust 27, 2015 - 4:33 pm
- ACT government responds to new Canberra domestic violence report with a call for increased awarenessAugust 13, 2015 - 2:50 pm
- ACT domestic violence workers trained to better respond to technological abuseAugust 13, 2015 - 2:48 pm
- Domestic Violence Orders on their own can make violence worseApril 7, 2015 - 1:40 pm
DVPC reports and submissions
This section contains Submissions, research reports, and other papers prepared by the Domestic Violence Prevention Council relating to domestic violence.
- DVPC Extraordinary Meeting Report 2018October 12, 2018 - 9:35 am
- Final DVPC Submission to the Standing Committee on Justice and Community Safety Inquiry into Domestic and Family ViolenceNovember 20, 2017 - 12:03 pm
- ACT Domestic and Family Violence Data Collection Project ReportSeptember 12, 2017 - 11:03 am
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Forum: Domestic and Family Violence forumJune 19, 2017 - 1:11 pm
- Review of Domestic and Family Violence Deaths in the ACTJune 19, 2017 - 1:02 pm
Events and Consultations
The Domestic Violence Prevention Council works to raise public awareness of the issues involved with domestic violence. Following are the details of upcoming events and details about past activities.
- Addressing the needs of children and young people impacted by family violenceMarch 7, 2018 - 2:39 pm
- 16 Days of Activism EventNovember 28, 2017 - 11:21 am
- Seminar – Working with Perpetrators of Domestic ViolenceNovember 23, 2014 - 8:23 am
- Latest DVPC ConsultationsNovember 22, 2014 - 10:09 pm
- Seminar – The financial impacts and costs on women living with and leaving domestic violenceOctober 29, 2014 - 10:06 am
Follow the links to find out more about the ACT and National Plans, and to relevant websites, research and publications.
- Fourth Action Plan 2019-2022August 23, 2019 - 1:22 pm
- New AIHW Report on family, domestic and sexual violenceMarch 2, 2018 - 2:08 pm
- National Domestic Violence Order SchemeNovember 28, 2017 - 11:25 am
- Second Action Plan of the National Plan to Reduce Violence against Women and their Children 2010-2022November 6, 2014 - 10:13 am
- ACT Prevention of Violence Against Women and Children Strategy 2011-2017October 29, 2014 - 10:18 am